Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Branching out on my own...

So, what IS the plan?

To make a long story short, I have been living in New York City for the better part of 10 years now.  I have had some successes, and A LOT of failures. I tend to be a workaholic...when work comes my way.  I think I take every gig that comes my way, whether I want to do them or not. 

Don't get me wrong.  These gigs (some of which I call trench work), have taught me what no school ever could.  Real life can make or break you.  It's how you handle the failures that will lead to your success (probably the best quote I've ever made that I've never stolen from anyone).

I felt it was about time that I had to do some project on my own.  Every year it's something new I conjure up, being either writing music for somebody, or try and be part of someone else's group.  It's great to be part of something, but there are times when the music just turns into "work",  and becomes a real drag.   You get that band leader/boss that irritates you over their demands,  eventually not paying you the right amount or in a timely fashion.  The music world is a different beast. 

This whole busking thing means I can be my own boss, set my own hours and have ultimate control creative wise.  So when things DO screw up, I got no one else to blame but me. Busking seems kinda archaic and demeaning.  Is it really possible to make anything out of this?  We shall see.

I know for one that this is gonna be a challenge.  How do I make busking with a trombone interesting?!  That last sentence alone could make you laugh and/or cry.  But I'm gonna take this thing seriously for the summer, and see what happens.

I remember a great line from a movie.   What did Will Smith say in Men in Black?  Something like:

"All right, I'm in. 'Cause there's some next level shit going on and I'm OK with that. But before y'all go beaming me up there's one thing you gotta remember: You chose me... so you recognized the skills, so I don't want nobody calling me son or kid or sport or nothing like that, cool?" 

Eventually you get Tommy Lee Jones goin':

"Cool, whatever you say, slick, but I need to tell you something about all your skills. As of right now, they mean precisely... dick."


I have a feeling this isn't going to be as easy as sittin' around playing trombone in the park, and people just throwin' their money at me. All this musical ability in my hands and brain.  Time to make use of it. 

   The landlord also discovered I was getting free cable in my apartment and shut it down, so I gotta use of my time somehow.


~Bone.

1 comment:

  1. You go, Sport. Take that new amp of yours out to Central Park and pump out some tunes;

    ReplyDelete